Staff Attorney – Chester City, PA
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (“LASP”) seeks an attorney to provide civil legal services in landlord-tenant matters across the LASP service area (Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery Counties).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
1. Interview clients, assist in determining eligibility for services, and ascertain and investigate facts;
2. Conduct legal research and interpret statutes, case law, regulations, and other sources of law;
3. Provide advice and counsel to clients;
4. Prepare legal documents, including but not necessarily limited to: briefs, pleadings, motions, notices, correspondence, memoranda, discovery and documents responsive to discovery requests;
5. Develop strategy and arguments for presentation of cases and assist in preparation of witnesses for hearings and trials;
6. Represent clients in trial and appellate courts and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies
7. Review decisions and consult with supervisor to determine merit of potential appeals;
8. Participate in external professional and community organizations relevant to casework;
9. Conduct clinics, community education, and workshops;
10. Become engaged in LASP team efforts to achieve office and program goals, including participation in program-wide affinity groups and task forces;
11. Develop knowledge of community referral resources and assess community and client needs;
12. Develop skills and substantive knowledge through training, CLE, and other educational opportunities;
13. Abide by all applicable professional standards of ethics and practice;
14. Complete administrative tasks including entering of notes and timekeeping in LASP case management software, and maintaining of physical files;
15. Ensure that requirements of grants and contracts which may provide funding for the position are followed, and assist with grant reports;
16. Perform other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
SUPERVISOR: Regional Housing Supervisor in Chester office;
QUALIFICATIONS: License to practice law in Pennsylvania or admitted in another jurisdiction and eligible for admission to Pennsylvania. 0-5 years’ experience as a lawyer; demonstrated proficiency in word processing, Outlook products, case management software, and online legal research tools; Passionate commitment to public interest law and serving low-income individuals and vulnerable populations; Strong written and oral advocacy and organizational skills; The successful candidate must be willing to accept complex and challenging cases and develop creative strategies to assist clients. Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
TO APPLY: Send resume and writing sample by October 12, 2018 to Kesha James, Deputy Director for Advocacy at Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania by mail to: 625 Swede Street, Norristown, PA 19401, or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled.