HARRISBURG - 805 residents in LASP's four-county service area lost cash assistance averaging $200 per month as of Aug. 1, 2019. That's when PA's General Assistance program ended under Act 2019-12. No General Assistance (cash assistance) will be disbursed after July 31.
According to the PA Department of Human Services (DHS), regional General Assistance participants as of June 30, 2019 included:
• 267 Montgomery County residents.
• 255 Delaware County residents.
• 160 Chester County residents.
• 123 Bucks County residents.
General Assistance (GA) provided money and services for eligible individuals who did not qualify for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). Recipients of General Assistance will continue to receive Medical Assistance when their GA cash assistance ends.
For more information:
• PA Department of Human Services (DHS): http://bit.ly/2M7pScQ.
• DHS Helpline: 1-800-692-7462. TDD Services: 1-800-451-5886.
• If you received or think you qualified for General Assistance, you may still qualify for other benefits. Contact your local County Assistance Office or apply online via COMPASS atwww.compass.state.pa.us.
• "What Social Services Providers Should Know About the Discontinuance of General Assistance Cash Assistance Effective August 1, 2019": http://bit.ly/2GyWB7.