VOCA Paralegal – Norristown, PA (ALON052119)
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA (“LASP”) seeks a paralegal to assist with the provision of legal services to domestic violence victims in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. LASP currently maintains offices in the county in Norristown and Pottstown. The position will be based in Norristown and will be full-time.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- 1. Under the supervision and guidance of program attorneys, interview prospective clients by phone or in person, investigate facts, and conduct legal research to assist with determination of the level of service to be provided to the client;
- 2. Under the supervision, guidance, and direction of program attorneys, provide advice and counsel to clients, conduct brief services to address client needs and obtain information through letter writing, e-mail, and telephone calls; and prepare legal documents which may include pleadings and petitions, affidavits, declarations, motions, memoranda, briefs, discovery documents, and documents responsive to discovery requests;
- 3. File documents in court;
- 4. Maintain physical case files pursuant to LASP standards and requirements;
- 5. Utilize and enter information into LASP’s case management system, Legal Server. Data entry will include information regarding client eligibility, demographics, and case notes; all documents pertinent to the case will be scanned into the case management system;
- 6. Where permissible, represent clients in administrative hearings;
- 7. Assist program attorneys in the preparation of witnesses, evidence, and exhibits for hearings and trials;
- 8. Participate in external professional and community organizations relevant to casework and collaborate with domestic violence and victims’ services programs and their activities to strengthen services to county domestic abuse victims;
- 9. Conduct outreach, clinics, community education, and workshops.
- 10. Maintain awareness of all sources of community help for victims of domestic violence;
- 11. Become engaged in LASP team efforts to achieve office and program goals, including participation in program-wide affinity groups and task forces;
- 12. Ensure that requirements of grants and contracts which may provide funding for the position are followed; assist with contract and grant reports, and keep detailed contemporaneous time records;
- 13. Develop skills and substantive knowledge through training, CLE, and other educational opportunities;
- 14. Abide by all applicable professional standards of ethics and practice; and
- 15. Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
SUPERVISOR: Attorney to whom assigned or Managing Attorney
QUALIFICATIONS: Associates Degree or minimum of one year certificate from college or technical school; or minimum of three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Proficient personal computer skills, including electronic mail, record keeping, data entry, word processing, spreadsheet creation, etc. Spanish language ability is helpful.
LASP is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, creed, age, religion, marital status, physical handicap, political affiliation or on any other basis prohibited by law.
TO APPLY: Send resume and writing sample to Erik Hansen, Esq. Deputy Director for Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled.